BEST Events for a New or Guest Speaker or Online Presenter to speak for Free or a Low Fee
- Would you like to get started as a speaker or presenter?
- Need to find an audience to get more speaking experience and practice?
- Would you like to make a difference to people and find groups wanting a Guest Speaker?
Every new and guest speaker wants to find more places to SPEAK and you have to start somewhere to find a receptive audience.
Developing your ability to SPEAK professionally is about PRACTICING your presentation and getting more feedback.
You’ll want to find places to speak and learn to get better interacting with a LIVE audience.
As speaking guru, Winston Marsh says “If you want to speak more, then SPEAK MORE”. Don’t sit at home on the couch waiting, go and FIND an audience or an event in need of a speaker – There are PLENTY around.
You can also MAKE YOUR OWN VIDEOS to practice and review your presentations in order to get good ASAP.
Just avoid being boring – NOBODY wants to listen to a BORING Speaker!
PLAN to Give More Presentations as a Guest Speaker
If you are going to become a better speaker and give more presentations you’ll need a PLAN
- WHO is your ideal target audience – who would you like to speak to?
- WHAT can you speak about? What value can you add? What do you know a lot about?
- WHY You? – Earn the right to speak – talk about YOUR own experiences, challenges and results – collect some proof – Videos, Testimonials, Your Benefits, Website etc
- HOW are you going to get invited to speak – approach the event organiser?, DIY Events? Or ask someone?
DEVELOP Your Ability to Speak & Present Online
A LIST of things you can DO YOURSELF to be a better Speaker!
Do What You Can with What You Already Have
- Make your own VIDEOS and post them on social media – Youtube, Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram etc
- Be interviewed on someone else’s PODCAST or start your own podcast – Just Apply – They are always looking for a GUEST SPEAKER and new content!
- Speak on a WEBINAR or run your own – try zoom.us
- Speak at VIRTUAL EVENTS – be included in online panels & conferences
- Run your own PHYSICAL EVENT (Use Eventbrite, Meetup or invite people to a boardroom presentation)
- SPONSORSHIP – you could ask for a spot to speak at any event you are a Sponsor
- PRODUCT or BOOK LAUNCH – you could speak at any place that sells your products or books
BEST EVENTS for New Speakers & Guest Speakers (Speaking for FREE or Low Fee)
Most of these Organisations are looking for low cost or Free Guest Speakers – start with your local contacts or professional services for an introduction
- YOUR SERVICE PROFESSIONALS – Client events of your Accountant, Lawyer, Financial Planner, Business Coach etc – always want a live client testimonial
- ROTARY CLUBS and Service Clubs – regular local and regional meetings – ‘Speaker Seekers’
- TOASTMASTERS or ROSTRUM – Practice speaking regularly and speak at Events
- BNI – Business Networks International encourages you to speak weekly and at events
- DSA & MLM – Direct Selling Australia & Multi Level Marketing groups like local Amway meetings
- ASSOCIATIONS – Local meetings & Breakouts at State Association conferences
- MEETUP – niche local meetings looking for guest speakers on relevant topics
- LOCAL BUSINESS STAFF MEETINGS & SALES TEAMS – weekly meetings or “lunch and learns” (Real Estate, Hairdressers)
- YOUR LOCAL SCHOOLS – Career Events & Subject Teachers are looking for guest speakers
- YOUR LOCAL COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES and TAFEs – teachers looking for guests on various subjects
- YOUR LOCAL BUSINESS NETWORKS – Chamber of commerce, Local council networks
- BUSINESS AWARDS EVENTS – Speak to judges about your Award submission and get on stage as a winner
- BUSINESS GROUPS – Business Owners, CEOs and Entrepreneurs Groups
- OTHER SPEAKERS – Be a podcast or webinar guest for another speaker or Group
- WOMEN’s GROUPS – groups specifically targeted to Women
- CLUBS & SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS for Hobbies and Causes
- RELIGIOUS and CHURCH Groups
- CHARITABLE Groups – talks that help fundraising and friendraising or overseas help
- PERSONAL EVENTS – Friends and Family Events like Birthdays, Weddings & Funerals
- SEARCH ONLINE for events having a “Call for speakers” and apply directly
ALWAYS KNOW YOUR OUTCOME WHEN GIVING A PRESENTATION AS A GUEST PRESENTER
- The aim of giving a presentation is to get INVITED BACK and TELL OTHERS about your speaking ability
- Aim to get TESTIMONIALS from both the organiser and happy audience members
- Always make a VIDEO – record the presentation on your phone for review or hire a professional to get footage for making a Sizzle or Show Reel. (at least get your own audio phone recording to watch)
- Aim to move from FREE to FEE – When buyers start ringing you then you can ask if they have a speaking budget – start with travel costs, then add a gratuity/donation then increase your speaker fee when you want.
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR PRESENTATIONS & PRESENTER SKILLS AS A GUEST SPEAKER
- Talk about what you KNOW and share your own PERSONAL STORIES – share how you FELT and your DIFFICULTIES you overcame
- Ensure there are BENEFITS and clear TAKEAWAYS for the audience – Be Memorable
- Keep your presentation LIGHT – add more fun & humour – not too serious or painful
- Tell SIGNATURE STORIES – when, where, who, what – your personal experiences or client results success stories
- Talk WITH and INTERACT with your audience – Don’t just read from or look at the screen
SOME PLACES WHERE YOU CAN LEARN SPEAKING & PRESENTING
Public Speaking takes PRACTICE to gain confidence and overcome fears. Here are some great places to start improving.
- Dale Carnegie Public Speaking Courses
- Toastmasters International
- Rostrum Australia
- BNI – Business Networking International – Elevator pitch and 10 min presentations
- Udemy (Public Speaking Courses Online)
- Patricia Fripp Online Presentation Skills Workshop
See my BLOG on Speaker Coaches and Resources for Speaker Development
There are people just waiting to hear your inspiring message, stories and advice.
Get out and SPEAK MORE!