How to use better CONFERENCE DESIGN for an engaging & entertaining conference program
by David Staughton CSP CCEO, Keynote Speaker on Business Growth in Tough Times and Expert on Small Business
- Would you like to create a more engaging conference or event?
- Need to attract more people to attend your conference?
- Want to avoid making common conference production mistakes?
Here are some great ideas to improve your conference design to get better results by David Staughton CSP – Professional Speaker….
Tips For Designing A Great CONFERENCE PROGRAM
- Set the tone of the event by picking the best inspirational speakers for the Keynote Presentation to hit the “Key note” of the conference
- Allow lots of quality NETWORKING time for interacting with each other – that’s what attendees really like – (if they just wanted content then they could have just watched a video, a webinar or listened to a podcast)
- Have the right MIX on the conference design — quality content, fun and social events
- BALANCE the information presented – A ‘Big Picture’ overview with more “How to” Skills Development or Operational Detail in Breakout sessions or Workshops
- Make sure there are INTERACTIVE sessions. Conferences must be ‘done with’ the delegates and not ‘done to’ them – panels, round table discussions, fireside chats, interviews make the conference more interactive. More talking ‘with them’ rather that ‘at them’.
- Be TIMELY – run on time for a set time – Keep to Agenda. Do NOT cut the breaks and networking time because the speakers went overtime.
- Run SHORTER AND SHARPER content sessions – MAXIMUM 90 MINS between breaks – Live by the mantra “Less is More” and don’t just NAG attendees on things they need to do.
Tips For Delivering BETTER PRESENTATIONS
- Go easy on reading out the Powerpoint filled with lots of text – use more GRAPHICS or physical props instead
- Beware being too “Big picture” or theoretical – be REAL, authentic & relatable instead
- Have a handful of easy to implement PRACTICAL IDEAS and sticky sayings the delegates can easily grasp
- Read the blog on biggest conference MISTAKES speakers make
- Brief and monitor your suppliers or service providers about AVOIDING a HARD SELL pitch during their presentations or on stage announcements
Tips For A Better Conference Atmosphere
- Make people feel WELCOME on arrival – have some official greeters!
- Use LARGE readable nametags with BIG first name & State, smaller surname and company
- Offer Branded Promotional Products that are memorable – order them early!
- Go easy at the big DRINKING event on the first night – encourage moderation – especially with management and staff representatives
- Remember to ENGAGE the support of AV and Hotel staff – bring a gift, chocolates or coffees!
- CONTROL any negative or disgruntled attendees interjecting and misbehaving
A great conference design can help to get much better results for your event
For More Conference Design Ideas Read These