Should I become an “EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER” with a Speakers Bureau?
Have you ever thought of becoming an “Exclusive Speaker” and working exclusively with just ONE main speakers bureau in Australia?
Speaker Bureaus in Australia know thousands of clients organising events & conferences and are always looking for HOT new talented speakers.
I believe there is a time in every professional speaker’s career when they are “BUREAU READY”. It is also detrimental to join a speaker’s bureau when you are clearly NOT READY.
There may also be a time when being “EXCLUSIVE” to one bureau can be beneficial.
Some speakers disagree and believe you can do it all yourself and then be listed on many speaker bureaus. Maybe that was the case in the old days where there were fewer professional speakers around.
BEING AN EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER AT A SPEAKERS BUREAU
Every Business wants EXCLUSIVE product that is HOT and in DEMAND.
The BEST way to get a speaker bureau’s attention & promotional effort is to arrange to be EXCLUSIVE to just ONE bureau. They will then make a bigger effort to promote, develop and nurture your career. But it is still a co-operative effort. They will coach you and can help – but YOU will need do the bulk of the DEVELOPMENTAL WORK. If you want the big speaking bucks – then you’ll need to do the work!
Developing your speaking career is a journey. Your role is to get AWESOME & get FAMOUS and then LEVERAGE your speaking into a business. This takes effort, work and practice.
The Benefits Of Being An “Exclusive Speaker” With A Speakers Bureau
Being an exclusive speaker that is exclusively booked through ONE primary speaker’s bureau means:
- You can connect & rapidly build relationships with their Speaker Bureau Consultants
- Get Showcased at speaker bureau promotional events website and marketing collateral
- Get help and advice on your Speaker Development & Positioning
- Make more connections for Promotion & PR exposure as a speaker
- Get more Feedback & Coaching from Bureau clients via the bureau
- Help Expand your Speaker Networks & Connections – Asia & Overseas
- Travel & Admin Support to help you organise and manage your diary and billings
- Some bureaus will promote you to other speakers bureaus and some don’t
- Most importantly when a bureau client phones up looking for speakers you are most likely to get a strong recommendation
- The bureau will help you manage your finances and fee discussions – and collect money owed.
Some other PROs of being an Exclusive speaker
- A lot of speakers just want to speak and don’t want to worry about contracts logistics flights on ground transfers etc.
- Speakers become exclusive to get more attention early in their career and stay an exclusive for the benefits of hassle-free speaking and admin.
FAQS OF BEING AN EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER AT A SPEAKERS BUREAU
How long does bureau exclusivity last for?
- It varies from person to person – one never knows how it will take for you to take off, but You must give it 12 to 18 months sometimes longer than that to gain momentum. Also its about your positioning – being in the right place at the right time with a relevant topic.
- There is no end period of being exclusive, some speakers have been exclusive for over 20 years because it works for them. For others there is a natural end to their exclusivity – they outgrow their chosen bureau relationship.
Can I still be booked by other speaker’s bureaus?
- Yes – your exclusive speakers bureau can usually book ANY enquiry from other ethical bureaus but they must have an arrangement in place. This is a BIG concern for speakers – being worried about limiting their options with other bureaus.
What happens to the other work, spinoffs and referrals that I get?
- Exclusive speakers are expected to direct this back to the consultant at the Speakers Bureau who booked you. It’s a matter of speaker loyalty and ethics. They know if you are taking the gigs direct.
For more advice about becoming an “Exclusive Speaker” contact your friendly speakers bureau.