How to avoid making Mistakes in your Online presentations, Webinars and Zoom Meetings
By David Staughton CSP – Presenter & Small Business Consultant
Having attended and presented LOTS of webinars, virtual meetings and presentations, here is a list of some of the biggest mistakes to avoid as the entire training, presenting and speaking industry goes virtual due to the Corona Virus.
Our biggest issue now is whether the telco systems can cope – Remember to SAVE the Bandwidth – No need to have all your attendees watch you in video mode if they don’t all need it.
Online Presentation Mistakes with Presentation Setup & Technical Issues
- Production value of the online presentation is poor
- Camera not at eye level (Too many chins)
- Not looking into the camera – to the eyes of the attendees
- Headsets with extra noise and feedback to others
- A green screen with distracting background
- Using Distracting Background settings
- Not knowing how to use the technology
- Not knowing how to show video
- Bad Audio – poor quality Microphone or feedback
- Forgetting to get audience to MUTE mike (set for mute on arrival)
- Not clearing cache before your start – Zoom Program freezes
- TIP: Set all attendees to MUTE on Arrival
Online Presentation Content & Presentation Design Issues
- Lack of overall preparation or practice (amateurish)
- Waiting to start – “we’re going to wait for others to join” – FB live or webinars
- Too much Chit chat at beginning
- Too much egotistical self intro (20 mins)
- No clear direction of what is happening
- No agenda has been set or followed
- Too much content being presented – allow for more interaction and discussion
- Boring – An Audience like Variety – Stories, Pictures, Metaphors, Mantras etc
- Too many random points being made – poor structure
- No Housekeeping done – How to interact hand up, How to chat room, How to fix any problems (e.g. freeze – refresh browser)
- Too long – keep it short
Online Presenter Mistakes in an Online Presentation
- Sour or squinty expression of the presenter – NOT Friendly or Smiley
- Looking at the SCREEN not the camera LENS
- There is no need to welcome every single person by name – Don’t greet everyone individually
- Presenter looks Too nervous
- Lack of energy or enthusiasm – Sitting not standing
- Presenter is not authentic – being a Forced Personality
- Overly confident (Smug)
- Too scripted (not authentic and genuine)
- Speaking too quickly – Needs to be slower online to comprehend
- Talking too much as the host – others want to hear your guest
- Need to make it like a good TV Show
- 2020 Best Virtual TALENT & Presenters for Online Events & Virtual Conferences
- 2020 Hot Webinar TOPICS During The Corona Crisis
- 2020 Guide To Australian Conference Speaker FEES (updated for Corona Crisis)
- BEST Online Presentation TIPS & Ideas for Virtual Presenters
- LIVESTREAMING Resources for Virtual Conferences & Meetings during the Corona Crisis
- BEST RESOURCES & Strategies for Speakers & Presenters during the Co-Vid19 Corona Crisis
Any other Suggestions? – Contact me!
ABOUT David Staughton CSP & Big Hat
David “Big Dave” Staughton is an Award-winning Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) with over 15 years of professional speaking & consulting experience. He is a past board member of Professional Speakers Australia and an advisor to a large Australian speakers bureau.
Big Hat Professional Services provides Online Workshops, Webinars and Coaching on Business Strategy, Sales and Service using Certified Speakers and Trainers.
NEED HELP ? – NEXT STEPS
- Would you like to discuss your presenting or speaking business?
- Would you like to discuss your plans for an upcoming conference or online event?
- Maybe an online consultation to discuss a challenging issue?
Book a “1 on 1” Session with Dave for an Online Meeting
If you would like to read more NEW BLOGS for growing your business or more information about the speaking & conference industry please sign up to the e-newsletter or connect with me here on LINKEDIN or FACEBOOK
You can also download some of the FREE E-BOOKS available here.
If you would just like a chat or have any suggestions for this website please call David on 0408375100 or contact us
www.presentationskillsacademy.com.au © David Staughton 2020 – All rights reserved