How to Build the BEST WEBSITE for a Speaker or Expert – with examples
by David Staughton CSP CCEO, Keynote Speaker on Growth Habits and Small Business Consultant
- Is your WEBSITE & SOCIAL MEDIA helping you attract and convert more clients?
- Would you like to see examples of some of the BEST WEBSITES for Speakers & Experts in the World?
- Do you want to know the BEST WEBSITE DESIGNERS working for Speakers or Consultants?
Well you have found the blog that can HELP you sort out your Speaker Website.
As a speaker, thought leader, consultant, coach, expert or other specialist you need a GREAT WEBSITE that attracts, qualifies and converts the right prospective clients.
Your website is your HOME on the internet and it needs to be professional and up-to-date. A Daggy Old Broken Website will damage your brand.
It MUST offer VISUAL PROOF that you are the BEST candidate for presenting at an event, a conference or a big project.
It is said that “a picture tells a thousand words” so you’ll need GREAT VIDEO, professional PHOTOGRAPHY and IMAGES of you appearing on BIG stages and getting RESULTS with Audiences.
Why does a Speaker need a GREAT WEBSITE & SOCIAL MEDIA?
Conference speaking is mostly a “Word of Mouth” business.
You have audiences full of potential buyers and they will tell their friends and colleagues about you.
Audience members and referees will then search for you on Google and visit your Website and your Social media when they are checking you out. (usually from their mobile phone). They will also search for your Videos, Showreel or your Youtube Video Channel.
Additionally, Speaker Bureau Consultants will recommend you directly to buyers and their bureau clients will look at your WEBSITE and your SOCIAL MEDIA & VIDEOS.
What does a basic Google Search of ‘your name’ or ‘your name’ with the word “Speaker” reveal?
Would you CHOOSE YOU if you Google searched your name and visited your SPEAKER WEBSITE?
Would looking at your SOCIAL MEDIA show that you are the topic expert and prove you can deliver on stage?
Anybody can claim to be anything on a Website – you need to demonstrate PROOF on your Website & Social Media.
Are you a Celebrity Speaker or Content Speaker?
There are TWO main types of conference speakers – famous CELEBRITY speakers and amazing CONTENT speakers.
- CELEBRITY Speakers typically attract, energise and entertain an Audience. They help fill the event and sell tickets.
- CONTENT Speakers are less well-known but usually provide edu-tainment – education & entertainment.
Content speakers websites just have to be more AWESOME because they usually lack brand name recognition.
BEST SPEAKER WEBSITES of Keynote & Conference Speakers in Australia
Which CONTENT based Keynote Conference Speakers have the BEST Websites?
These websites have been judged to be the Best Content Speaker Websites in Australia. Based on having style & content that CONVERTS based on the criteria below (NOT just for ability to rank well in Google or use SEO to attract traffic)
- Amanda Stevens – Consumer Futurist
- Michael McQueen – Trends Forecaster
- Ian Stephens – Sales Guru
- Keith Abraham – Passionate Performance
- Amanda Gore – The Joy project
- Marty Wilson – Resilience & Change
- Jane Anderson – Queen of Visibility & Branding
- Andrew Griffiths – Small Business Expert
- Dale Beaumont – Business Blueprint Coaching
- Scott Dutton – Fighting Fair – Conflict Intelligence Speaker
- Rowdy McLean – Leadership Speaker
- Chris Helder – Useful Belief and Influence
- Steve Simpson – UGR – Culture Change
- Anders Sorman Nilsson – Futurist
- Louise Mahler (Dr) – Queen of Influence
- Mark Carter – Value Add
- Julian Mather – Visual Storytelling – Video by phone
- Chris Riddell – Futurist
- Steve Sammartino -Futurist
- Colin James – Communication Expert
- Matt Church – Leadership & Thought Leaders Founder
- Scott Bales – Futurist
- Shara Evans – Tech Futurist
- Nils Vesk – Influence
- Mark Bunn – Happiness & Performance
- Sam Cawthorn – Speaker Academy
- Lisa McInnes Smith – Love and Energy
- Andrew Bryant – Leadership Speaker (Asia)
- Tom Abbott – Sales Speaker (Asia)
- Mike Walsh – Futurist
- Gus Balbontin – Tranformation
- Samantha Gash – Leadership
- Morris Miselowski – Business Futurist
- Graham Harvey – Customer Service
- David Penglase – Ethical Selling
- Julie Cross – Sparkles
- Russell Pearson – Brand Marketing Strategist
Who Else has a Truly Great Speaker Website? – Contact Me for a chat!
CONFERENCE SPEAKERS WITH THE BEST WEBSITES IN THE USA
- Mel Robbins – 5 Second Rule – ” Most Booked Female Speaker in the World”
- Terry Hawkins – Amazing Energiser & Retail Speaker
- Jay Baer – Marketing Expert
- Eric Chester – Firing Up the Front Line
- Randy Gage – Wealth Expert
- Keith Ferrazzi – Connections & Networking
- Anna Liotta – Generational Communication – President of NSA
- Shep Hyken – Customer Service Guru
- Mark Sanborn
- Tony Robbins
- Jim Collins – Good to Great
- Mark Schulman – Pink’s Drummer
- David Glickman – Healthcare Humourist
- Frank Shankwitz (Dr)
- Lisa Nichols
- Jeff Degraff
- Vernice “Flygirl” Armour
- Greg Reid
- Peter Diamonds
- Sharon Lechter
- Ruben Gonzalez
- Brian Smith
- Scott Duffy
- Larry Bailin
- Sally Hogshead – Fascination Expert
- Les Brown
- Leah O’Brien Amico
- Kevin Kelly
- Connie Dieken
- Mike Berkson and Tim Wambach
and these other Great USA speaker websites too
BEST WEBSITE DESIGNERS FOR SPEAKERS & EXPERTS IN AUSTRALIA
- LovedLockedLoaded – AWESOME Speaker Branding & Websites – Kelsey & Jen in Sydney (most Ode Speakers)
- Precedence – Did Andrew Griffiths Website
- BSO DIGITAL– Jason Hulme Melbourne
BEST WEBSITE DESIGNERS FOR SPEAKERS & EXPERTS IN USA
- Loudmouse.com – Marc Ensign (Multiple Speaker recommendations)
- PhilReinhardt.com – Phil Reinhardt (Recommended by Phil Gerbyshak)
- SpeakerWebsites.com – Cynthia Lay
- GetTheGigs.com – Derek Hart
- McCreamarketinggroup.com (recommended by Karen McCullough)
- MarketingAccessPass.com – Anthony Tran
- ShatterBoxx.com – Jamie Varon
- paradigmmarketinganddesign.com – Rachel Durkan
- Electrifyyourmarketing.com – Kris Sutton
- Radiatedigital.com – Tim Snyder
- Imageworksllc.com – Jeff Cohen
- shortcircuitmedia.com – Aidan Crawford
- Webdesignaustralia.com.au – Susan O’Dea
WHAT MAKES A SPEAKER WEBSITE DESIGN GREAT?
- FAST – Loads really FAST < 2sec – don’t keep visitors waiting (Right sized images and probably hosted on AWS)
- MOBILE – Looks great on a MOBILE PHONE – on a Small Screen, Menu design etc
- VISUAL APPEAL – It looks professionally designed – clean, colours, logos, design elements
- VIDEO – Video beats photos and words – Show me Don’t tell me
- BENEFITS – Opens with BENEFITS to the Buyer – WIIFM – What’s in it for me (the buyer) – not just the speaker’s ego
- ABOVE THE FOLD – The right WORDS are seen above the fold (no scrolling down to find the best bits)
- HOMEPAGE that has deep info – NOT too many clicks or clicking around
- ENGAGING – It is ENGAGING not boring for prospects. Not too much “ME ME ME”
- RESOURCES – Has Essentials for conference organisers – downloadable headshots, AV requirements, Bio etc
- CTA – Calls to action are clear – Making Offers to connect at the right stage (Not too early – e.g. BOOK ME on home page)
CHECKLIST FOR A SPEAKER WEBSITE THAT CONVERTS VISITORS
Here are some things you need to CONVERT more website visitors into enquiries and bookings
- ON BRAND – Your WEBSITE is consistently on BRAND for you – name, tagline etc
- VIDEO – Your BEST VIDEO showreel footage is on the home page and its not too long
- EXPERTISE – Demonstrate NICHE TOPIC expertise? – PROVE you have credibility by offering a range of support – books, videos, online training program, social media proof
- CLIENT LOGO WALL – lots of logos that prove your experience
- TESTIMONIALS from big name buyers – written and videos
- GREAT MEDIA profile – wall of Media PR logos – Found on TV, Radio & Print
- TOPIC TITLES that are relevant and show your range – but not too many
- UNIQUE PROFOUND QUOTES – Your Positioning statements (tweetables)
- YOUR BOOKS & E-BOOKS – Your Best seller BOOKS, Products and E-books
- RESOURCES – Offer Free Useful RESOURCES to download
- BLOG articles that answer your prospects problems
- SOCIAL PROOF – Big followers and fans – Youtube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter
- BUREAUS – Awesome enough to be represented by the best BUREAUS …
- LIVE CHAT support – podium, zopim or livechat
- E-NEWSLETTER Sign up as a popup
HOW DO YOU GET THE WEBSITE TO RANK IN GOOGLE? – SEO & TECH TIPS FOR SPEAKERS
There are Hundreds of Ranking Signals for Google. Here are some useful ones.
- NAMES – Use the right DOMAIN NAMES (.com and/or .com.au) and URLs for page names
- SPEED – Have it hosted on a FAST SERVER or at least a Cloud Distributed Network (AWS/Cloudflare)
- ON PAGE SEO – Right ONPAGE SEO with emphasis on YOUR most important Keyword Search terms (Yoast can help)
- TAGS – Decide Your BEST KEYWORDS and include in METATAGS like Page Title, Descriptions, Alt Tags, on pages etc
- FB PIXEL – Make sure you have the FACEBOOK PIXEL tracker installed (Can then run FB Ads in future)
- PHOTO TAGS – Add ‘alt text’ tags and useful titles/descriptions to all the PHOTOs on your website
- ANALYTICS – Make sure you have GOOGLE ANALYTICS installed on your website and the app on your phoneto check
- LINKS TO SOCIAL – Correctly connected to your SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS (the links work)
- CONTACT US FORM – Put a better CONTACT US FORM on all pages (keep it short)
- BLOG – Add a BLOG AND LONG STICKY ARTICLES written or edited by YOU (Your Voice)
- INTERNAL LINKS Website INTERNAL CROSS LINKING – Embedded links to other pages/blogs
- GUEST POST BACKLINKS – Write useful ARTICLES and submit to online websites and bloggers – backlink to your website
- BACKLINK – Get Website BACKLINKING from directories, associations and suppliers and any awards you entered
BIGGEST MISTAKES MADE ON A CONFERENCE SPEAKER WEBSITE
- NOT SECURE – Not a Secure Site – Needs to be a https:// site – NOT unsecure – http://
- AMATEURISH looking Website design (Cheap or DIY?)
- SLOW – Too SLOW to load (files too big, host server too cheap)
- COPYWRITING – Poor use of ENGLISH – outsourced poorly written pages or poor SEO tags (or none)
- WORDY – Too many WORDS not enough PHOTOS – SHOW me don’t tell me!
- STOCK PICS – Overuse of STOCK photos or clipart – use your own REAL photos where possible (Show your PROOF)
- WRONG TESTIMONIALS are from random audience members NOT big names or buyers
- BAD PICS/VIDEO – Amateur looking, Talking on a FLAT FLOOR not a big stage, Audience members look BORED
- VIDEO is slow to get started, really dull and not well made
- CLIENTS logo collection needs work
- UNFOCUSSED – Poor POSITIONING – Too MANY offers, roles or speaking themes or topics (not an expert)
- OFFBRAND – Not ON BRAND – inconsistent – colours, font, voice, styles etc
- OLD – Copyright date is OLD – it’s 2020 now
- SLIDERS – Using SLIDERS on the homepage – too slow to load!